Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Do You Know Tabeleau?

My goal upon returning from the ALA (American Library Association) National Conference in New Orleans last month was to dedicate several blog entries to outlining my favorite sessions. Having taken a few weeks to digest all that I took in, however, I have come to the realization that perhaps not everyone would find such musings interesting or relevant. So, instead of waxing poetic on my favorite new trends in libraries and information sharing, I thought it might be useful to instead share some actual tools I encountered while there.

Tableau was one such tool and it captivated me instantly. The Tableau website promises to "make data a first class citizen on the web". With its easy to use structure - relying wholly on "drag and drop" - Tableau makes it incredibly easy to visualize data via any of your organization's web presences. Below you will find a simple example I created in 15 minutes, demonstrating the increase in use of one of Blazer's subscription databases, Literature Resource Center. With increasing demands for accountability in service (not just within libraries, but within all institutions, really), it is easy to envision the applications for pushing evidence of achievement back to demanding constituents.

After you check out my example, make your own. Visit Tabelau at: http://www.tableausoftware.com/public



No comments:

Post a Comment